Sunday, August 22, 2010

Being a volunteer ~The days in PPIA

“If the child cannot learn in the way we teach, we must teach in a way the child can learn……”








“PPIA is a duly registered non-profit, charitable organization, committed to serving children and youths with intellectual challenges in and around the town of Batu Pahat, irrespective of race and religion. PPIA hopes to change the lives of children and youths with intellectual challenges through education and training, which will help them to progress in life.”


PPIA is the organization that I joined as a volunteer starting from the May of 2010. I spent my two months holidays there as I gained lot experiences through the activities in PPIA. There are four centres of PPIA: Day Training Centre (DTC), Production Workshop(PW), Early Intervention Centre (EIP) and Job Training Centre( JTC). The centre that I went to help out is the Early Intervention Centre (EIP).

EIP is the centre which caters for intellectually challenged children between 0 to 6 years old. The reason why I decided to join this organization is that I hoped I can contribute something meaningful for my holidays, and I personally believe that it is a labor of love, if one puts in selfless dedication of time, energy and knowledge in helping these children, there is always a hope for every one of them, as well as for their families.

By faith, I took up this volunteer work. I went to help out for every weekday. I learnt a lot from the teachers and the supervisor in how to handle and care for these children. There are five activities for morning section as well as for noon section in EIP that provide chances for these children which will help them to progress in their childhood life. My first memory of the EIP is when I was introduced by the supervisor about the activity of the centre. I remember sitting on one side, observing the one-to-one teaching, participating the art& craft, story time and singing session. Besides that, I would spend hours preparing the teaching aids with other volunteer and helping out with administrative work there. Each activity I enjoyed well with the children there. I really enjoy myself the moments with the children. The nature and trueness of these children really attracted my attention towards them.

As a volunteer in PPIA for over two months, I found the work challenging. I hope I will get the chance again to help put there once I go back to my hometown for holidays. As I miss the days in PPIA~

No comments:

Post a Comment