Sunday, September 19, 2010

THE SIMPLE SMILE

During the days in secondary school, when I was being asked by friends, “What is your ambition? What you want to do when you grow up?” My answer was, I want to be a volunteer or a social worker. At first, the volunteer and social work as we know and are familiar with now, is a work that individuals cannot get any fixed compensation for service. I was always totally stucked by the words giving from one of my best friends. “How do you want to live if you are going to be a volunteer or a social worker?  There is no fat salary for you. Even though doing as a social worker, the salary that you get will be much little, it sure doesn’t enough for you to support your life.” Her words really came into my mind as her mother was a well experienced counseling teacher in my secondary school. I was convinced that she sure will not want to be in such career.
                The reasons for me to give such an answer were varied. I do hope that I will have pleasant experience of witnessing the brilliant radiance of expression and a beautiful smile from those intellectually challenged children, as I know that rich properties cannot ensure a well being life. If you experienced of loved ones who passed away , then you should know no matter how rich you are, you also cannot avoid the King of Death took his/her life from this planet. These were the thinking that made me to be involving in the volunteer work. Therefore, I appreciate every single chance of helping in welfare centre as a volunteer.
                The experiences that I gained in early intervention centre, can be described as quite nice! I found that the expression in one’s eyes can reflect many emotions. In other words, the expression in one’s eyes can be varied. I could tell by the parents there that they were helpless. The parents ‘face turned strict in the learning session as they glared at the teachers’ face with full attention. I could tell that they do hope their children who were sitting in front of them learn something from the lesson. Every beautiful smile from the teachers as well as the parents reflects the satisfaction of their effort once the children were able to do even a simple task.
                In some cases, there were parents who were not realizing the intention of their children for having certain behavior. They were panicked when they discovered that their children were doing something that was dangerous for them. Wanting to be a good guardian for their children, the parents naturally questioned the teachers as to why the behavior of children occurred. 
               One in a thousand times, the children there were be given a chance to perform on stage in the annual charity show. The purpose of their performances was to provide a stage for them to express their lovely smile in front of audiences and parents. These children will express their happiness with a smile from the beginning until the end of performance. No amount of cosmetics or flashing clothes can produce a person who smiles, yet a child’s smile is so simple and beautiful!
                For those intellectually challenged children, every single behavior is important in their parents’ eyes. They are emotional, sensitive and easily hurt. These children need love, care and attention to give them assurance to face life. Despite the presence of financial problems in some families, the parents were still trying to work extremely hard to earn extra money and buying their children the best clothes and books. We can hardy to see beautiful smile on the parents’ face, yet the parents do hope to see beautiful smile from their children.
                Volunteer work is learning how things grow and appreciating the relationship of one another. It can be described as a experience about being aware of who I am and what I do. The knowledge and skills that gained instructs me to conduct myself well in the presence of other life forms on this planet. It also helps me to learn to see colors with my eyes and appreciate smile with my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment